Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sucky fonts in Ubuntu :(

This has always been pricking me for a long time. Whenever, I try to code in gedit, the fonts are so so sucky!!. I wanted a nice environment for coding, so my search for non-sucky ubuntu fonts started :)

Is there clear-type fonts in Linux ?
Yeah, very much :). All you need to do is, System->Preferences->Appearance->Fonts->Subpixel smoothing (LCD's).

You are all set to experience a sexy font style :-). Guess, cleartype fonts were patented/found my Microsoft, thank you M$ :)

Cleartype is good, but I really want those Calibri,Constantia fonts ??
Oh..yeah, Ubuntu can get you that too :). I found this neat scrip here. Just copy it, save it in your home folder as 'fonts-installer.sh', and say "sh fonts-installer.sh" on your terminal. It works :-).

Nooooooo, it doesn't :(. Tells me "There is no .fonts directory in your home.Is fontconfig set up for privately installed fonts?"

Oh..ok, nothing to worry, when Synaptic is there :).

Step 1: System->Administration->SynapticPackageManger.
Step 2: Look for the package "fontconfig" and install"
Step 3: Create a directory named ".fonts" in your home folder.

This will definitely work!!

Uh!!.. you and ur linux :P. It says "curl: not found"

Hmmm..Even I am wondering. Ideally, the code shouldn't throw that error, since it checks for wget,fetch commands on your system. Even if one exists, it should work!.

Anyways, curl is a client to get files from servers using HTTP/FTP protocol. Why fear, when synaptic is here :-). Follow the steps that I have outlined in the previous comment and install curl. Cmon, now it should work!

Arggggghhhhhhhh!!!!. Chuck it, I will code in Dev-C++. I am happy. Goodbye to your gedit and your bloddy Linux!!

Hey...Chill..what is the error now ?

trap: 47: SIGINT: bad trap!!!!!

Could you please do this ? Just comment out line number 47. Insert # before it. If you are super frust, you can go ahead and delete it. Now, run "sh fonts-installer.sh". It should work.

Wow! wow! wow!. Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy, am gonna use gedit now. It definitely rocks. Thanks a ton :-)

2 comments:

Harishankaran said...

Dei, paavam da linux. You have troubled linux more than linux has troubled you.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if i share the same hatred towards some hard-to-configure linux softwares, but I am sure this blog is aligned with your long-term goal of coming with a fool-proof trouble-shooting guide for linux:-)